(Reuters) - Second seed Dominika Cibulkova and Moscow-born Australian Daria Gavrilova will meet in the final of the Connecticut Open after respective straight sets semi-final victories on Friday.
Slovakian Cibulkova thrashed Elise Mertens of Belgium 6-1 6-3, before Gavrilova upset top seed Agnieszka Radwanska 6-4 6-4 in an entertaining nightcap on the outdoor hardcourt in New Haven.
FILE PHOTO: Aug 14, 2017; Mason, OH, USA; Daria Gavrilova (AUS) serves against Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) during the Western and Southern Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center.
Wearing her heart on her sleeve, an emotional Gavrilova used a powerful forehand to good effect, hitting a series of winners against her more stoic Polish opponent.
After nervously netting a forehand groundstroke to squander her first match point, Gavrilova made no mistake on her next chance to advance to her third career final.
- Daria Gavrilova upsets Agnieszka Radwanska to move into Connecticut Open finalABC Online
- Cibulkova punches ticket for Connecticut Open finalCT Post
- Radwanska, Cibulkova reach New Haven semisGulf Times
- Cibulkova Advances to Connecticut Open Final With Straight Set WinHartford Courant
- Cibulkova eases into New Haven finalSport24
- Gavrilova upsets defending champ Radwanska at Connecticut OpenCT Post
- Cibulkova cruises into first final of 2017 in New HavenWTA Tennis
- Gavrilova upsets Radwanska in Connecticut Open semifinalsYahoo Sports
- Dominika CibulkováEurosport.com