According to multiple reports, the Patriots believe Edelman suffered a torn ACL when he hurt his knee without being contacted in the first quarter of the team’s game against the Lions.
He will have an MRI to provide further confirmation about the extent of the injury.
The team certainly isn’t devoid of other receiving options with Rob Gronkowski , Chris Hogan , Brandin Cooks , Danny Amendola and Malcolm Mitchell on hand, but there will still be some adjusting to do on offense if Edelman’s not part of the mix.
Edelman was injured on his third reception of New England’s opening drive and was carted to the locker room shortly after limping to the sideline.
- Quick observations: In dress rehearsal, Lions starters undressed by PatriotsMLive.com
- Three questions: The Lions don't come close to measuring up to PatriotsDetroit Free Press
- Lions-Patriots halftime observations: Now that was uglyDetroit Free Press
- Rough start dooms Lions, who catch up, but fall to Patriots, 30-28, in exhibitionDetroit Free Press
- Julian Edelman injured in Patriots' 30-28 win over LionsmySanAntonio.com
- Julian Edelman injured in Patriots' win over LionsChron.com
- Julian Edelman's knee injury overshadows strong Patriots effortESPN (blog)
- Julian Edelman Carted Off After Suffering Knee Injury in Preseason vs. LionsBleacher Report
- Julian Edelman believed to have suffered torn ACLNFL.com