Cam Newton didn’t want to let his teammates down last December, so he played with an injured shoulder that would eventually need surgery.
Newton didn’t want to wait to catch up when training camp started, so he threw the first four days of practice and then needed a 12-day layoff to get through the after-effects of surgery.
Newton admitted he’d have liked more action than his one drive last night against the Jaguars, in which he led them to a touchdown in eight plays but threw just two short passes to do so.
But when asked if the lack of work meant he might play next week against the Steelers, Panthers coach Ron Rivera replied: “Not necessarily.”
After some previous enthusiastic attempts led to longer setbacks, they might be wise to put him in bubble wrap, and not remove him until Sept. 10 in San Francisco.
- Cam Newton on 2017 preparedness after one series: 'I'm ready to go'ESPN (blog)
- NFL notes: Cam Newton perfect in preseason debutLos Angeles Times
- Cam's return kicks off the most noteworthy week of the preseasonVirginian-Pilot
- Cam Newton, offense do all the right things in 1st drive of win against ...Charlotte Observer
- Recap: Panthers 24. Jaguars 23Panthers.com
- Cam Newton marches Carolina down field in 10-play TD drive, exitsESPN
- Jaguars Preseason Stock Watch: Wynn stands out in loss, Cann flagged for three ...First Coast News
- Newton perfect in preseason debut, Panthers edge Jags 24-23ABC News
- Panthers-Jaguars instant analysis: Highlights, lowlights leave Carolina roster ...Charlotte Observer