Our goal is to highlight the innovations that are paying off in America, on topics from education to infrastructure.
At a cost of nearly $4 billion, the four-year construction project is one of the largest in the country and a rare success story in the saga of American infrastructure, reports "CBS This Morning" co-host Norah O'Donnell.
The existing bridge, the Tappan Zee, was long ago deemed functionally obsolete.
Much of it was made on land, floated down the river, and maneuvered into place by a super crane dubbed, "I Lift New York."
It will take another year to dismantle the old bridge and complete the Cuomo, which the governor hopes will serve as a symbol for New York ambition and a model for big building in America.
- Gov. Cuomo introduces $4B Tappan Zee Bridge replacement named after father ...Syracuse.com
- Gov. Cuomo on the making of New York's massive new bridgeCBS News
- Westbound traffic to switch to new Gov. Mario Cuomo Bridge, replacement for ...WABC-TV
- Andrew Cuomo opens New York bridge named after father MarioThe Australian
- Bridge-changing names can give the public agitaPoughkeepsie Journal
- Rockland-Bound Traffic To Switch To New Gov. Mario Cuomo BridgeCBS New York
- Readers prepare for traveling across Mario Cuomo BridgeThe Journal News | LoHud.com
- Tappan Zee Bridge: Lane closure guideThe Journal News | LoHud.com
- New Tappan Zee Bridge set to open tonightNews 12 Westchester