You can trace this phenomenon back to Bette Davis and Joan Crawford's decades-long industry-created "feud," and it has continued steadily since then, especially in the realm of pop music.
Madonna vs. Janet Jackson, Britney Spears vs. Christina Aguilera, Remy Ma vs. Nicki Minaj…the list goes on and on.
Society essentially trains women (and audiences) to think they have a shelf life in entertainment, causing them to view other female performers as competition—and thus enemies.
Perry thanked Swift for the kind words, calling her "sweet as pie" and even suggesting they write a song together about a "subject [they] know best."
"If your video celebrates women with very slim bodies, you will be nominated for vid of the year," Minaj wrote, which Swift read as a jab directed at her.
- Is Katy Perry's "Swish Swish" Inspired By 'Space Jam'? The Two Have A Few ...Bustle
- Taylor Swift vs. Katy Perry: The Complete Timeline of Their Feud and Rumors ...KPRC Houston
- Surely Someone Wants to Watch Game of Thrones' Mountain Beat Katy Perry At ...Gizmodo
- Gronkowski, Crying Jordan poser star in Katy Perry's new music videoChicago Sun-Times
- Why Katy Perry Ended Her Feud With Calvin HarrisE! Online
- Gronk gets cameo in Katy Perry music videoPatriots.com
- Taylor Swift and Katy Perry's mutually beneficial feud, explainedVox
- Katy Perry's Swish Swish video seems to confirm it IS about Taylor Swift feud ...The Sun
- Perry explains why she ended Calvin Harris feudBusiness Standard