Girardi took shots at the Tigers, but mostly the umpires, suggesting they lost control of the situation multiple times during the Yankees’ 10-6 loss to Detroit at Comerica Park on Thursday afternoon.
■Then, in the sixth inning, Yankees reliever Tommy Kahnle threw a pitch behind Miguel Cabrera, who had words with catcher Austin Romine, then shoved him, starting the first benches-clearing brawl.
■Then, in the seventh inning, Yankees reliever Dellin Betances hit Tigers catcher James McCann in the head.
Girardi acknowledged it looked bad — it always does when somebody gets hit in the head — but there’s no reason for Betances to try any funny business, not in what at the time was a tie game for a Yankees team in the playoff hunt.
DeMuth went on to say that the pitch by Tigers reliever Alex Wilson that hit Yankees third baseman Todd Frazier in the eighth inning was deemed intentional.
- Fists fly, benches clear 3 times during Tigers-Yankees game in DetroitCBS News
- Baseball: Tigers beat Yankees in brawl-filled encounterYahoo Sports
- 'Man's game': Tigers win brawl-filled contest; Cabrera among 8 ejectedThe Detroit News
- Tigers, Yanks brawl after fight between Miguel Cabrera, Austin RomineABC News
- Yankees manager Joe Girardi trashes umpires after brawl-filled loss to TigersNJ.com
- Benches Clear — Again And Again — During Brawls Between Yankees And Tigers90.5 WESA
- Reaction to beanballs and brawls day between the Tigers and YankeesBless You Boys (blog)
- Basebrawl! 3 Big Beefs, 8 Tossed as Tigers Top Yankees 10-6NBC 10 Philadelphia
- Miguel Cabrera throws punch at Yankees catcher as wild brawl eruptsYahoo Sports