Glasgow: Brice Leverdez calls himself a strong character who hates to lose and adds in the same breath that for years he wanted to quit the sport every time he lost.
And though he doesn’t want to disclose what the reason is, he ensured that he made the most of that zen-like mental state to create the biggest upset of the BWF World Championship so far with a three-game win over second seed Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia.
The first one had come in the Denmark Open last year, a tournament he wanted to skip because he wasn’t playing well but went to only because the bookings were made to train with some of the local players and he couldn’t afford to lose the money.
Though things have improved a lot and Leverdez is part of the official French contingent only for the World Championship in Glasgow, he asked the national team coach and Danish legend Peter Gade to not sit for his match as he did not feel comfortable with the idea.
He needed a lot of that as a successful challenge from Chong Wei on his first match point extended the tie into the decider and it was not till the business end of the game that he had a look in to turn the tables on the man who has three silver medals at the World Championship.
- B Sai Praneeth, PV Sindhu advance to next round as Lee Chong Wei suffers shock ...Firstpost
- Lee Chong Wei blows what may be last chance at badminton world title as Hong ...South China Morning Post
- Chong Wei says 'sorry' for World Championships lossThe Star Online
- Chong Wei out in first roundExpressNewsline
- Badminton World Championships: Lee Chong Wei stunned by Frenchman Brice LeverdezIndia Today
- China's Chen on track to third world title, second seed Lee suffers shock exitecns
- World Badminton Championships 2017: Lee Chong Wei at crossroads as his dreams ...Firstpost
- Lin, Lee play down possible highly-anticipated duel in badminton worlds finalAppsforPCdaily
- Lin wins to open bid for 6th badminton world titleNewburgh Gazette