DALLAS (105.3 The Fan) – Dennis Smith Jr. was already getting major hype from the media and the fans heading into his rookie season, but now he’s getting praised by his peers.
The 2017 NBA rookie draft class had an opportunity to vote for who they thought would win the Rookie of the Year award, and they chose Smith as the likeliest to take home the hardware.
Smith received 25.7 percent of the vote, edging out Lakers point guard Lonzo Ball (20.0 percent) and 76ers point guard and No.
The six-foot-three guard out of NC State averaged 18.1 points, 4.6 rebounds and 6.2 assists while shooting 45.5 percent from the field as a freshman.
In six summer league games, Smith averaged 17.3 points and 4.2 assists in route to being named to the All-NBA Summer League First Team.
- Fellow Rookies Think Jayson Tatum, Lonzo Ball Will Have Best NBA CareersCBS Boston / WBZ
- Summer Dreaming: 2017-18 Rookie of the YearABS-CBN News
- NBA rookies pick Lonzo Ball, Jayson Tatum to have best careers, Smith to win ROYCBSSports.com
- The hype is growing around Dennis Smith Jr.WTVD-TV
- LA Lakers News: Lonzo Ball Voted No. 2 By Rookies To Win NBA Rookie Of Year AwardThe Inquisitr
- NBA survey tabs Mavericks' Dennis Smith Jr. as likely Rookie of YearChicago Tribune
- Only two of 38 rookies surveyed say No. 1 pick Markelle Fultz will have class ...Yahoo Sports
- NBA rookies voted Jayson Tatum and Lonzo Ball as most likely to succeedBoston.com
- Lonzo Ball bringing magic back to LakersFanRag Sports (blog)