But by the end of the Giants’ 10-6 loss to the Cleveland Browns, Beckham was so “relieved” he had only sprained his left ankle that he was sarcastically mocking a question of whether he’d be ready for the Week 1 opener in Dallas.
The Giants did say Beckham “will undergo further examination,” presumably an MRI to also check his knee, which bent awkwardly on the low-but-legal hit by Browns defensive back Briean Boddy-Calhoun.
What’s most frightening, though, is that Eli Manning’s first-team offense was putrid even with Beckham on the field, just as it had been in last year’s preseason debut at Buffalo, prior to ranking 26th of 32 teams in the 2016 regular season.
Beckham is so important to the Giants because his game-breaking ability is all that bailed the offense last year out of its terrible running game, spotty pass protection and turnovers.
- Giants Appear To Dodge Major Bullet With Beckham InjuryCBS New York
- Giants' Landon Collins 'can't respect' Browns player's low hit on Odell BeckhamNJ.com
- Briean Boddy-Calhoun says he 'wasn't aiming at anything specific' on hit that ...cleveland.com
- What was Odell Beckham's postgame status? Do Giants think it was dirty hit ...NJ.com
- Odell Beckham Jr. relieved it's only a sprainNBCSports.com
- Giants' Damon Harrison, Landon Collins livid after Browns DB's hit on Odell ...New York Daily News
- Was the hit that took out Odell Beckham a dirty one?Yahoo Sports
- Pick near goal line ends Geno Smith's night on sour noteNewsday
- Odell Beckham Jr. Leaves Giants' Game With Ankle SprainNew York Times