Bill Cosby has hired high-profile lawyer Thomas Mesereau, who won an acquittal for Michael Jackson during his 2005 child-molestation trial and describes himself as "unconventional."
The announcement of a new legal team — which includes former federal prosecutor Kathleen Bliss and prominent Pennsylvania attorney Sam Silver — was made on the comedian's Twitter account Monday, a day before a scheduled hearing in his case.
His previous attorneys, Brian McMonagle and Angela Agrusa, had notified the court that they would not be representing Cosby when he is retried on charges he drugged and molested Andrea Constand at his Pennsylvania home in 2004.
In an January 2016 interview with MSNBC, after Cosby was charged with sexually assaulting Constand, he drew parallels between the case and Jackson's trial.
The Pennsylvania case represents the only criminal charges stemming from accusations by dozens of women that range from groping to rape and span decades.
- Cosby hires Michael Jackson lawyer to defend him in sex-assault retrialPhilly.com
- Bill Cosby Hires Michael Jackson Lawyer for Sexual Assault RetrialU.S. News & World Report
- The Lawyer Who Won Michael Jackson's Acquittal Will Represent Bill Cosby in ...Vulture
- Bill Cosby Hires Michael Jackson's Lawyer for Sex Assault RetrialBillboard
- Bill Cosby Is Putting Together a 'Dream Team' To Defend Him During His ...The Root
- Cosby hires former Michael Jackson lawyerPage Six
- Bill Cosby Hires Former Michael Jackson Lawyer Tom MesereauVibe
- Cosby hires Michael Jackson's lawyer for sex assault retrialKIRO Seattle
- Bill Cosby Brings Michael Jackson's Lawyer On Board For Sexual Assault CaseThe Daily Caller