Located approximately two hours east of the Mississippi River, and founded around the railroad industry, it's home to musicians like Shawn Colvin, the first "Bucky Dome" house — and the only one that architect R. Buckminster Fuller ever lived in — and a university with a Saluki — an Egyptian running dog — as its mascot.
It's so important that NASA is also going to have a team in Carbondale, along with Citizen CATE, the Adler Planetarium in Chicago and the Louisiana Space Grant Consortium — which will have different activities and experiments happening leading up to and during the Eclipse.
One main viewing area is Saluki Stadium, where an all-day event will take place with a broadcast of live footage of the eclipse, the launch of high-altitude balloons and Planetary Radio's Mat Kaplan will host discussions and explaining what's happen as totality nears.
Karen Just and her Son Mathew Pitch a tent in a hay field which had been converted into a campground to host visitors for Monday's solar eclipse near Carbondale, Ill. All of the commercial lodging and hotels in the area are completely booked.
Karen Just and her son Mathew pitch a tent in a hay field which had been converted into a campground to host visitors for Monday's solar eclipse near Carbondale, Ill. All of the commercial lodging and hotels in the area are completely booked.
- Illinois town gears up to become heart of US eclipseReuters
- STEINBERG: Carbondale celebrates an eclipse, if clouds don't spoil itChicago Sun-Times
- Carbondale gears up for Monday's solar eclipseWLS-TV
- Total Solar Eclipse Transforms Illinois Town Into a Celestial Super BowlLive Science
- Traffic conditions are good in Southern Illinois as eclipse day approachesThe Southern
- US gears up for total eclipseeuronews
- Expert: Staring at total solar eclipse can burn your retinaecns
- The Eclipse Capital Of The United States Is Giddy For Monday's Total Solar EclipseNDTV
- AG Madigan reaches $4.5M settlement in opioid marketing caseMyWebTimes.com