That's because the Saints already had Mark Ingram, who rushed for over 1,000 yards last year, and had just signed Adrian Peterson in free agency.
Kamara proved early in Sunday's preseason game against the Chargers, taking their first play from scrimmage to the house for a 50-yard touchdown, that the Saints may have known what they were doing after all.
Last year, New Orleans used Travaris Cadet as their pass-catching back, but he didn't quite show the same elusiveness as some of the Saints' more successful players who had previously occupied that role.
Kamara will likely line up in the backfield and the slot this season, and he also returned punts Sunday night.
He could be among the highest-scoring rookie running backs in a number of formats this season if Sunday's outburst was any indication of his role in the Saints' offense.
- Live updates: Saints top Chargers 13-7 in preseason contestThe Advocate
- Check out Alvin Kamara's first-play touchdown run for the New Orleans SaintsAL.com
- David Onyemata, Ted Ginn Jr. lead list of Saints not in uniformThe Advocate
- Open Thread: Los Angeles Chargers vs. New Orleans SaintsBolts from the Blue
- WATCH: Former Tennessee RB Alvin Kamara scores 50-yard TD in Saints preseason gameSECcountry.com
- Saints' Ted Ginn Jr., Stephone Anthony among players not dressed against ChargersNOLA.com
- Halftime update: New Orleans Saints 10, Los Angeles Chargers 0NewOrleansSaints.com
- Alvin Kamara, dominant D, help end Saints preseason losing streakFOX 8 News WVUE-TV
- Vegas Play of the Day: Saints at ChargersLas Vegas Sun (blog)