Chase Elliott ’s misfortune and Matt Kenseth ’s excellence means only 18 points separate the three drivers provisionally in the Cup Series playoff field with two races to go in the regular season.
The contact wasn’t heavy enough to cause significant damage to either Elliott’s car or his position in the points standings.
Kenseth currently trails by 15 points while Jamie McMurray occupies the final provisional spot.
The aforementioned three — as you probably know by now — are winless and the final three drivers in the 16-driver playoff field via their standings in the points.
The Cup Series is off Aug. 26 before races at Darlington and Richmond before the playoffs begin in Chicago.
- Kenseth, Jones Bristol battle symbolizes changing of the guardNascar
- Playoff spots on the line make Bristol a bigger unknownESPN
- Elliott still searching for first winRichmond.com
- Matt Kenseth doesn't have 2018 plans, says he's not worriedYahoo Sports
- Erik Jones' push to make playoffs gets boost at BristolHiTechFacts
- Matt Kenseth has no current plans for future in NASCARYahoo Sports
- Matt Kenseth 'not concerned' about his futureNascar
- Kenseth has no plans for future in NASCARTSN
- Kenseth finds silver lining in fourth placeRacer