(Reuters) - Grigor Dimitrov beat big-hitting Argentine Juan Martin del Potro for the first time in six career attempts to book a place in the last eight at the Cincinnati Open on Thursday.
The seventh-seeded Bulgarian advanced to his eighth ATP World Tour Masters 1000 quarter-final with a 6-3 7-5 victory over Del Potro, who struggled with the intense heat in the closing stages of the one hour, 39 minute match.
Donaldson, who defeated Nikoloz Basilashvili in straight sets on Thursday, will be one of four unseeded players in the quarters following a series of upsets early in the tournament.
Third seed Dominic Thiem needed two tie breakers to dispatch France's Adrian Mannarino 7-6(4) 7-6(3) and set up a meeting with Spain's David Ferrer , who upset 11th-seeded Pablo Carreno Busta 6-4 6-4.
Rain put a halt of Australian Nick Kyrgios' match against Ivo Karlovic with the Croatian leading 4-3 in the first set.
READ MORE (Yahoo Sports)
- Sports news roundup: Dimitrov advances in Ohio tennis tournamentAkron Beacon Journal
- Dimitrov sees off Del PotroEurosport.com
- Dimitrov Gets Better Of del Potro In Cincinnati HeatATP World Tour
- Grigor Dimitrov rallies past Juan Martin del Potro in OhioThe Daily Progress
- Grigor Dimitrov rallies past Juan Martin del Potro at Cincinnati OpenThe Indian Express
- Grigor Dimitrov claims maiden victory over Juan Martin del Potro in CincinnatiSkySports
- Dimitrov Downs Depleted Del PotroTennis Now
- Grigor Dimitrov: I always expect a lot from myselfVAVEL USA
- LIVE Grigor Dimitrov - Yuichi Sugita ATP Cincinnati - 19 August 2017Eurosport.com AU