In spite of all of these possible avenues for action, Tina Fey went on Weekend Update on Thursday to trademark her own approach : staying home and binging on baked goods with a side of biting political commentary.
This entire rant ignores the fact that when white supremacists come to town spouting racist hate, people of color don’t get to “choose” safety—especially if no one else is showing up to beat back the mob.
Fey’s instantly viral segment, which included digs at Trump and Paul Ryan, culminated with the comic urging of “good sane Americans” to “treat these rallies this weekend like the opening of a thoughtful movie with two female leads…don’t show up.” There’s no better encapsulation of the white feminist humor that Fey has repeatedly been called out for—pairing a witty critique of the patriarchy with an apparent unwillingness to acknowledge or support non-white Americans.
But Fey’s Weekend Update appearance doesn’t just reflect poorly on the comic; it also illustrates a widening cultural and political divide, and places the failures of liberal outrage comedy into focus.
The problem arises when performativity replaces the real work, and there’s no better illustration of that concept than a headline that credits Fey with “ absolutely destroying Nazis ” after she literally just told folks to stay home instead of fighting back.
- How 'Bout This, Tina Fey: Give Us (Black People) the Sheet Cake, and You Go ...The Root
- The John Williams Show Full Podcast 08.17.18: Bannon out, Tina Fey's sheet ...WGN Radio
- Let them eat … burnt almond, salted caramel cakesThe Mercury News
- Not Everyone Is Happy With Tina Fey's Cake-Eating BitGOOD Magazine
- Tina Fey Suggests Eating Cake From Local Businesses Instead of Protesting This ...Adweek
- Tina Fey's cake-eating SNL bit means well, but her advice to ignore white ...Vox
- Tina Fey Has Some Great Advice for People Who Don't Actually Want to Do ...The Mary Sue
- Tina Fey, Seth Meyers and Jimmy Fallon Return on 'SNL's' 'Weekend Update'Hollywood Reporter
- The Outrage Over Tina Fey's “Sheetcaking” Bit Is a Waste of Collective EnergyVillage Voice