This post was originally published on this site RENTON, Wash. — Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett elected to sit for the national anthem for Sunday’s preseason opener against the Los Angeles Chargers.
Bennett picked up the cause initially championed by former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick a season ago of using the gesture to protest racial inequality and social injustice in America.
Bennett strongly said he’s not anti-military or anti-America – his father served in the military – but that he felt it was necessary to continue to shine a light on issues in the country.
Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said he’s spoken with Bennett multiple times about his choice and supports Bennett’s cause and the message he’s trying to deliver.
However, Seattle reached out quickly after Brock was released and stayed in contact throughout the process, which gave them an edge when the charges were dismissed.
- Seahawks agree on contract extension with C Justin BrittKOMO News
- NFL notes: Britt signs extension with SeahawksSTLtoday.com
- Seahawks Center Justin Britt Signs Three-Year Contract ExtensionSeahawks.com
- Seahawks sign Britt to contract extensionYakima Herald-Republic
- Justin Britt's extension seems like another big win for him and the Seattle ...isportsweb.com (blog)
- Twins Reinstate Perkins From DL, After 16-Month StayU.S. News & World Report
- Seahawks sign Britt for three more yearsWalla Walla Union-Bulletin
- Seattle Seahawks signs contract extension with centre Justin BrittSkySports
- We'd like to know why Seahawks feel confident in assessing Tramaine BrockThe Seattle Times