Erik Jones looked poised for his first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series victory as he lined up second behind Martin Truex Jr. on the final restart Sunday at Michigan International Speedway.
In his lone Monster Energy Series start at “The Last Great Colosseum,” he finished 17th, but ran with the leaders the majority of the day.
“We looked back to the spring race, we ran really well – I thought we were really fast all weekend long in practice, didn’t get to qualify due to rain,” Jones told NASCAR.com.
Hopefully, the track is doing the same thing with the PJ1 and applying it on the bottom that we’ll be able to bring back the same package and hopefully have similar speed that we did there a few months ago.”
Having a familiar voice call the shots on the radio bodes well for the young star in this position.
- Fantasy NASCAR Picks: Who We're Buying, Selling For Bristol Night RaceNESN.com
- NASCAR: Kyle Busch scores fifth Truck Series win at BristolUPI.com
- Busch overcomes penalty, charges through field for Bristol victoryNascar
- Kyle Busch wins 2017 NASCAR Truck Series race at Bristol in overtimeCBSSports.com
- Kyle Busch wins UNOH 200 Truck RaceWCYB
- Kyle Busch wins the truck series race at BristolWCYB
- GREGORY: Goliath prevails againBristol Herald Courier (press release) (blog)
- Kyle Busch overcome penalty to win Truck race at BristolMetroNews Canada
- Sports on televisionPaducah Sun