There were concerns during the 5K, as Farah—typically placid and unruffled by his competitors’ movements—appeared a tad jittery in his pacing, responding to probing surges from the likes of American Paul Chelimo and at times even leading the pack—an unfamiliar and unwanted position for a tactician of Farah’s caliber so early in the race.
He didn’t win a gold medal at all, in fact, and managed just a single bronze after losing in the 100-meter final, not racing the 200, and pulling up with an injury in the anchor leg for Jamaica’s 4x100 relay team.
The medals are plenty in number: He completed the sprint triple-double at three Olympics and three World Championships, with only a 2011 controversial disqualification in the 100 preventing him from adding another (Bolt wasn’t beaten in a Championship-level race between 2007 and last week).
By straight minutes and seconds , he ranks just 16th of all time in the 10K and 31st in the 5K, and his only two world records are in events where the historical competition could be characterized as soft (the indoor 2-mile) and much, much softer (the tongue-in-cheek 100-meter sack hop ).
Although his one marathon effort produced a disappointing 2:08:21 result—for reference, the IAAF database lists 321 men who have run 2:08 flat or better—he is an accomplished half-marathoner, and a racer of his talent and tactical prowess should compete at that distance once he modifies his training regimen.
- Mo Farah: How easy is it for celebrities to change their name?BBC News
- IAAF World Athletics Championships 2017 medal tally: USA continue to lead as ...Yahoo India News
- Alberto Salazar's son was coaching in London during World Championships and ...Daily Mail
- Farah's ongoing objection to legitimate scrutiny at odds with his publicity agendaHerald Scotland
- The Athletes Hoping To Continue Mo Farah's LegacyThe Sportsman
- Athletics: Farah rebrands as 'Mohamed' for road careerDunyaNews Pakistan
- Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil - Hypocritical English needs to look ...Independent.ie
- No golden sendoff for Bolt and FarahKasmir Monitor
- World Athletics Championship: Relay golds should not paper over cracks ...Express.co.uk