While vowing that Mercedes-Benz Stadium will be open to the elements at some point this fall, officials still can’t put a timetable on when the elaborate roof — which resembles the cover of a camera lens — will be fully operational.
Atlanta United, the MLS expansion team that has drawn huge crowds in its temporary home at Georgia Tech , debuts at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Sept. 10.
Mike Egan, a senior vice president for Falcons and United owner Arthur Blank, said engineers are still working out some bugs to ensure the roof can be opened or closed in 11 minutes.
Several concessions stadiums doled out food during the media tour, including a chicken sandwich developed by renowned Atlanta chef Kevin Gillespie.
Also, the committee that hopes to bring the 2026 World Cup to the United States, Mexico and Canada has included Mercedes-Benz Stadium on the list of facilities that could possibly host games.
- What beer fans should know about Mercedes-Benz StadiumMyAJC
- Atlanta's new stadium ready for business — except that roofThe Augusta Chronicle
- Atlanta's new billion dollar stadium has an unusual flawNEWS.com.au
- New $2b stadium has world's most useless restaurantYahoo7 Sport
- The Falcons' billion-dollar stadium will have a Chick-fil-A that's almost ...CBSSports.com
- New Falcons stadium will have Chick-Fil-A ... which won't be open on SundaysYahoo Sports
- Chick-fil-A will be at the new Falcons' stadium, but it won't be open for most ...KMOV.com
- 11Alive Exclusive: Construction team deliberately delayed work on Mercedes ...Atlanta Business Chronicle
- Chick-fil-A puts restaurant in Atlanta Falcons' new stadium. But there's a ...Sacramento Bee