But with Cincinnati holding a two-goal lead before a sellout home crowd of 33,250 — the second largest in tournament history — the New York Red Bulls offered a rapid response in a three-minute burst.
In the previous three rounds, Cincinnati had defeated MLS’s Columbus Crew and Chicago Fire and second-tier Miami FC.
Former MLS players Corben Bone and Austin Berry provided a 2-0 lead for the home club by scoring on each side of intermission.
But Gonzalo Veron answered in the 75th minute — the first goal conceded by Mitch Hildebrandt in six matches — and Wright-Phillips headed in the equalizer from 12 yards in the 78th.
Moments later, with goalkeeper Ryan Meara off the line, New York’s Tyler Adams preserved the lead by blocking Marco Dominguez’s bid inside the six-yard box.
- Wright-Phillips has 2 goals, Red Bulls reach Open Cup finalsWTOP
- Red Bulls advance to US Open Cup final with comeback win at FC CincinnatiGoal.com
- Wright-Phillips double helps NY Red Bulls beat FC CincinnatiESPN FC
- FC Cincinnati's Cinderella run in US Open Cup comes to an endWLWT Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls pull a surprise stampede over FC Cincinnati, win 3-2WCPO
- Magic runs out for FC Cincinnati in US Open Cup semifinalsDayton Daily News
- So Close! FC Cincinnati Open Cup Streak EndsWVXU
- FC Fan: "It's Just So Cool To See It Taking Off In Cincinnati"WVXU
- FC Cincinnati's Open Cup dream ends, NYRB advances to finalCincinnati.com