Fans of Sonic the Hedgehog have waited a very long time for the iconic blue speedster to return to some kind of form, and after years of disappointing revivals and modern interpretations of the classic Sega games, it seems their dreams have been answered.
Exciting level design, a stellar soundtrack, and cool expansions on the original formula work in one accord to deliver the Sonic game fans have been waiting for."
Eurogamer , which gave it an "essential" award, said: "Mania takes everything that was memorable about Sega's pioneering 2D platformers - that joy in momentum always teetering on the brink of disaster, the deranged magnificence of those levels, the mournful bassnote as poor, faithful Tails stampedes into all the traps you've just triggered in passing - and rejuvenates it, to the point where you can only put down the pad in astonishment.
"For years the Sonic series has chased the legacy of its early games, constantly delivering experiences that either came close or failed to recapture the spirit that made them classics," writes critic Matt Espineli.
Sonic Mania methodically uses its sentimental appeal to great effect, but in the process, it heals the wounds inflicted by its most disappointing predecessors and surpasses the series' best with its smart and interpretive design.
- Sonic Mania for Xbox One review: Best Sonic game in years is a brilliant ...Windows Central
- Sonic Mania Review RoundupGameSpot
- Sonic Mania ReviewIGN Africa
- Sonic Mania launch trailer brings us back to the 90sPlayStation Universe
- Sonic Mania Proves You Can Outrun the PastPaste Magazine
- Sonic Mania Switch release: Nintendo version to get physical launch?Express.co.uk
- Sonic Mania: 5 reasons to love this classic rebootSlashGear
- Sonic Mania Guide - How to Collect Chaos Emeralds, TipsUSgamer
- Sonic Mania Review Roundup: Going Old School Pushes One Of Gaming's Most ...Tech Times