MIAMI — Right-hander Dan Straily will have his not-so-secret weapon with him when he takes the mound against the San Francisco Giants on Tuesday night — and it is not his fastball, his curve or his slider.
It is his teammate, Giancarlo Stanton, who has been every Miami Marlins pitcher’s best friend lately, launching baseballs over fences and walls at an incredible rate.
Giants pitcher Ty Blach, Stanton’s latest home run victim, noted how the Marlins slugger has improved.
On Tuesday, Straily (7-8, 3.74 ERA) will be countered by Giants left-hander Madison Bumgarner, a four-time All-Star and a three-time World Series champion who is having an uncharacteristically disappointing season, in part due to injury.
He is on pace to hit 60 homers this season, a number that has been reached by only five players in major league history: Babe Ruth, Roger Maris, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds.
- Giancarlo Stanton's contract should not scare the Cardinals awayViva El Birdos
- Giancarlo Stanton has 22 homers in his last 34 games, which is totally absurdUSA TODAY
- Stanton hits team-record 43rd homer, Marlins beat Giants 8-3New York Daily News
- Stanton homers in Giants' loss; now imagine him in black and orangeSFGate
- Behold the Awesome Power of Peak Giancarlo Stanton and His Incredible Home Run ...Sports Illustrated
- Giancarlo Stanton breaks Marlins' single-season home run record in win over GiantsSun Sentinel
- LEADING OFF: Stanton HR streak, Porcello goes for 3 in rowUSA TODAY
- Major league roundup: Stanton hits 43rd homer, a Marlins season recordPress Herald
- MLB caps: Stanton continues home-run binge for MarlinsThe Spokesman-Review