“We have a small group of players that have made some choices that are extremely disappointing,” Florida coach Jim McElwain said in a statement.
He was Suspended in 2016 but reinstated to the team after a Title IX investigation regarding an accusation of sexual assault.
According to the Tampa Bay Times, a second Title IX investigation by the federal government has been opened and it appears to be releated to Callaway’s case at the school.
Davis had 27 tackles and 1.5 sacks in 2016 and he and the other suspended players are projected backups for the Gators.
Without Callaway, Florida’s top receiver heading into the Sep. 2 game vs. the Wolverines at the Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium is Brandon Powell.
- Florida suspends Callaway, 6 others for opener vs MichiganPalm Beach Post
- Florida suspends 7 players for opener vs. Michigan for reportedly misusing ...Chicago Tribune
- Gators suspend 7 players for season opener against MichiganWESH Orlando
- Gators will be without 7, including Antonio Callaway, for season opener vs ...ABC News
- Star WR Antonio Callaway one of seven Gators suspended for Michigan openerCBSSports.com
- Florida Gators suspend Antonio Callaway, six others for openerTampabay.com (blog)
- Star receiver Antonio Callaway among 7 Gators suspended for Michigan gameFlorida Times-Union
- Seven Florida players, including Callaway, suspended for opener247Sports
- Gators' McElwain suspends seven players, including Kathleen's Ventrell Miller ...News Chief