(Rendle told Fortune this spring that VF's deal sweet spot were companies with the potential to achieve $1 billion in annual revenue.)
"VF is the ideal steward to honor that heritage while providing a platform for growth that ensures continued success for another century," Rendle said.
In June, at its analyst day, VF told Wall Street to expect a compound annual growth rate through 2021 of 4% to 6% , an ambitious goal in a difficult apparel and footwear market.
Rendle's predecessor and mentor, Eric Wiseman, oversaw the $2.3 billion purchase of Timberland in 2011, instantly doubling VF's footwear business.
Other deals haven't played out as well: The online athleisure wear brand Lucy, which it bought in 2007, was a bust and will be shut down this year and folded into The North Face.
- VF Corp. Snaps Up Dickies' Maker for $820 Million in CashFootwear News
- VF Buys Dickies Maker For $820 Million in CashTheStreet.com
- VF Corp. to acquire Williamson-Dickie workwear company for $820MCharlotte Business Journal
- Dickies Gets the Job Done for VFBloomberg
- Big check for Big Tex shirtmaker -- Fort Worth-based Dickies bought for $820 ...Dallas News
- VF adds to workwear portfolio with plans to buy owner of Dickies brandWinston-Salem Journal
- North Face-Parent VF to Buy Dickies Owner For $820 MillionWall Street Journal (subscription)
- VF Corp to buy Dickies workwear maker for $820 millionReuters
- VF Corp. (VFC) to Acquire Williamson-Dickie for $820M; Raises FY17 Outlook ...StreetInsider.com