In the week that their transfer policy was criticised by England left-back Danny Rose, Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is now poised to act.
Spurs have made an opening offer of £20m for Ajax’s Colombian centre-back Davinson Sanchez, 21, but could eventually end up paying £35m.
Ajax have also offered Sanchez a new contract in an attempt to persuade him to stay but he is expected to tell them he wants to join Tottenham.
Talks were held in Amsterdam yesterday and the White Hart Lane outfit are confident a deal will be agreed this week.
Meanwhile, Everton’s Ross Barkley, 23, remains the top target for Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino and he still hopes that a £30m deal can be agreed before the transfer window closes.
- Hoddle thinks Rose may have dressing room backing after Tottenham commentsDaily Mail
- Newcastle: Gayle to start for Magpies as Sissoko makes a return to TynesideThe Northern Echo (registration)
- Danny Rose will have support at Spurs, says Glenn HoddleSkySports
- Newcastle United vs Tottenham Hotspur, Premier League 2017/18, live football ...Hindustan Times
- Jose Mourinho: 'I should not comment' on Danny Rose speculationESPN FC
- Lloris defends Tottenham's transfers after Rose outburstGoal.com
- Moussa Sissoko could be in line for surprise start against Newcastle, in an ...ChronicleLive
- Danny Rose the rebel causes thorny problem for Daniel Levy and SpursHITC
- Three reasons why Newcastle can halt Tottenham's St James' Park revenge missionHITC