Up against Xavi, Andres iniesta and Sergio Busquets, Los Blancos kicked off the 2011 Copa del Rey final with a midfield trio of Xabi Alonso, Sami Khedira and Pepe.
He looked like a young Johan Cruyff, he had tremendous technique and also admiration for the Blaugrana, happily posing for a photograph with the club's shirt after an interview with El Mundo Deportivo in which he confessed: "It must be something special to play for Barca."
At that time of Modric's signing for Madrid, Barca boasted an impressive midfield, with Xavi still at the club, Cesc Fabregas considered to be his natural heir and Thiago Alcantara waiting in the wings as well.
With the summer's top target Marco Verratti not joining, Neymar now departed and Andre Gomes largely disappointing last season, Barcelona are still looking to strengthen in the market, but fans are angered by the move for Paulinho, a 29-year-old midfielder who failed to shine at Tottenham and has been playing in China with Guangzhou Evergrande - especially at the elevated price of €40m.
It is difficult to see what the Brazilian can add at Camp Nou and many of the supporters may just take an envious glance over at Asensio, Isco, Ceballos, Kroos and Modric in the upcoming Clasico clashes in the Spanish Supercopa on Sunday and Wednesday.
- FC Barcelona seek Super Cup tonic to Neymar hangoverHindustan Times
- Spanish Super Cup: Barcelona confident of coping without Neymar against Real ...Firstpost
- Zinedine Zidane agrees new 3-year deal at Real MadridInternational Business Times UK
- Daily Post NigeriaDaily Post Nigeria
- Marco Asensio 'to hold emergency meeting' with Real Madrid chiefs to talk ...Mirror.co.uk
- Barca's Valverde primed for baptism of fire in Super CupCyprus Mail
- Zidane signs three-year contract extension at Real MadridYahoo Sports
- Barcelona prepare for life without Neymar as Lionel Messi and Co train ahead ...Daily Mail
- Life without Neymar - Barcelona take on Real Madrid in the Spanish Super Cupeuronews