Giants players were already leaving the stadium several minutes before the announcement was made, a half-hour lag in Major League Baseball informing the teams and fans getting the notice.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy was informed around 9:15 p.m. local time of the postponement, which was announced on the Nationals’ Twitter account and in the press box at 9:47 and in the stadium at 9:52.
Giants players were already in street clothes talking to family and friends and walking toward the team buses before the game was announced as postponed.
Melancon has been on the disabled list with a right forearm strain since June 28 and had two strikeouts in an inning during a rehab assignment with Class-A San Jose on Wednesday.
Nationals: RHP Stephen Strasburg, who has been on the DL with a right elbow injury since late July, could go on a rehab assignment early next week.
- Washington Nationals' lineup for first of three with San Francisco Giants in DCFederal Baseball
- Washington Nationals' skipper Dusty Baker & San Francisco Giants' Bruce Bochy ...Federal Baseball
- Nationals leave everyone hanging with delayed postponement announcementYahoo Sports
- Washington Nationals: Fans let down after team botches rain delayDistrict On Deck
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delaySacramento Bee
- The Nationals Are Not Very Good at This Whole Rain Delay ThingSports Illustrated
- Series opener between the Nationals and Giants is rained outWashington Post
- Baker tries to leapfrog Bochy and Piniella on managerial win listMASNsports.com
- Nationals vs. Giants weather forecast: Passing storm a riskWashington Post