Some years ago when I was covering the Cannes Film Festival and doing my best to struggle through the French newspapers every day, I came upon a description of Michael Moore as “le prolo-bobo de Flint en Michigan.” I assume that phrase requires no translation, and indeed would resist any; there’s no way to capture that distinctive combination of mystification and mockery in English.
At this point Michael Moore has spent most of his adult life among what can only be called the coastal media elite — in the same galaxy as Trump, so to speak, but not quite the same planet — where he serves as a symbolic emissary from the semi-mythical Middle America it views with a mixture of anthropological fascination and sheer terror.
But the “prolo-bobo” Michigan-to-Manhattan act comes at a price, which is captured all too perfectly in the fact that Moore now finds himself the star of a meandering, half-baked Broadway production that repeatedly congratulates its audience for its enlightened views and general wokeness.
Not everybody who shells out to see this show will be Christie Brinkley, of course, but the overwhelming majority will be Northeast Corridor liberals who already live in islands of blue, and who may discover that the local Democratic Party takes a jaundiced view of spunky, idealistic newcomers.
So it’s not that I think Moore is incorrect, exactly, when he insists that liberals and progressives hold more enlightened views and generally represent majority sentiment on a wide range of issues — although there is something desperate about preaching that gospel to a theater full of rich people in Times Square.
- Michael Moore Adds Razzle-Dazzle to Political Provocation in One-Man Broadway ShowObserver
- Michael Moore Falls Flat on BroadwayVanity Fair
- Michael Moore predicts Trump-driven economic crash and advises not to invest ...MarketWatch
- Michael Moore 'profoundly moved' by opening night response to his Broadway ...New York Daily News
- Michael Moore's anti-Trump Broadway play ripped as 'self-aggrandizing ...Washington Times
- Michael Moore's Play Hammered by Liberal Papers As 'Cringe-Inducing' 'Ego Trip'NewsBusters (press release) (blog)
- Michael Moore Play Opens to Poor ReviewsNewsmax
- 'We're all in the same boat' _ Michael Moore preaches unityNew Zealand Herald
- BWW TV: More Moore! Go Inside Opening Night of THE TERMS OF MY SURRENDER!Broadway World