Researchers have named the dinosaur Patagotitan mayorum after the Patagonia region where it was found and combined it with Greek word titan, meaning large.
The second part of the name honors the farmer and his Mayo family who owns the ranch where the dinosaur was accidently discovered.
"There is no doubt that it was pushing at the upper limits of body size, and it will be interesting to see what adaptations it developed to cope with all of the pressures that went with being so big, (such as) acquiring enough food (and) finding a mate.” Stephen Poropat, a paleontologist at Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia told Live Science .
Kristi Curry Rodgers, a paleontologist at Macalester College who was not involved in the study says that this discovery “means that there are even bigger dinosaurs out there to discover.”
- One 'giant' treasurePocono Record
- 'Big Daddy Hacks' and his South Portland team are playing for the titleBangor Daily News
- Digging Up A New DinosaurWBUR
- 'Titanosaur' Found In Patagonia Believed To Be Largest Dinosaur Of AllCBS San Francisco Bay Area
- Meet the new heavyweight champion of dinosaurs: PatagotitanKRQE News 13
- Gigantic dinosaur finally has a name of its ownGears Of Biz
- Gigantic titanosaur was largest dinosaur to ever liveScience Recorder
- Meet Patagotitan Mayorum – Biggest Animal To Ever Walk Earth (Video)South Florida Reporter
- Demystifying Science: What is Patagotitan?The Hindu