Landon Collins said he was flying to the ball to start the Giants’ Preseason opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers Friday night because he is “coming out of the gate blazing” in the 2017 NFL season.
The All-Pro safety said he told his position coach he was “too flat” to start the 2016 regular season when it came to making big plays, so he is determined to turn it up from day one this year.
He made tackles on all three downs of a goal-line stand, including a ferocious hit that forced a fumble recovered in the end zone by Damon Harrison.
Safety Duke Ihenacho (hamstring) was ruled out for the rest of Friday night's game in the second quarter … Eli Manning, Odell Beckham Jr., Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Jason Pierre-Paul did not play, though all are healthy.
QB Josh Johnson made the start instead while DE Kerry Wynn got the start in place of Pierre-Paul … Sitting due to injury were receivers Sterling Shepard (ankle) and Tavarres King (ankle), linebackers Keenan Robinson (concussion) and Mark Herzlich (stinger), defensive tackle Robert Thomas (soreness), safety Ryan Murphy (lower body) and receiver Kevin Snead (lower body).
- Geno Smith can have 2nd New York act: If he doesn't throw it awayNew York Post
- 5 Pittsburgh Steelers who helped, 4 who hurt themselves vs. NY GiantsPennLive.com
- Rookies play key roles in Steelers preseason winPittsburgh Post-Gazette
- NFL exhibitions: Steelers take advantage of Giants' turnovers; Bengals top ...Houston Chronicle
- Goodson, Bromley show they belong among Giants on highly-regarded defenseNorthJersey.com
- Without starting QBs, not much offenseAlbany Times Union
- Turnovers Are Giants Undoing In Preseason Opener Loss To PittsburghCBS New York
- TJ Watt's big preseason game vs Giants has brother JJ watching closelyESPN
- Giants offense struggles in preseason openerAsbury Park Press