Fresh off $100 million in new funding, expectations are high that Coinbase – the largest and most visible US cryptocurrency startup – will use its new investment to improve services that have succumbed to the stress of a growing industry.
On Twitter, Coinbase users openly grumbled about the startup's struggles with uptime , as well as technology decisions that some felt have left them, unlike the company, short on funds.
But given the influence of Coinbase's brand, those outages and slip-ups generally have had a negative impact on cryptocurrency prices, leading users to be denied economic opportunities, such as the ability to capitalize on volatility.
The latest incident happened in June when a multimillion dollar sale of ether was placed on GDAX, pushing the price down drastically and automatically executing a few hundred margin calls and stop losses.
The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is an independent media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies .
- Bitcoin exchanges struggle to win investors' confidence, tradesPaymentsSource
- Coinbase's $100M In Funding Brings Its Valuation To $1.6BPYMNTS.com
- Coinbase Is Officially Bitcoin's First Billion-Dollar Company, Raises US$100 ...The Merkle
- Coinbase Raises $100 Mln to Expand Staff as Bitcoin Has Netscape MomentCoinTelegraph
- Coinbase raises $100M Series D led by IVPAppsforPCdaily
- Coinbase becomes bitcoin's first unicorn as it raises $100M in fundingSiliconANGLE News (blog)
- Unicorn Alert! Coinbase Raises $100 MillionCrowdfund Insider
- Coinbase becomes first Bitcoin unicorn with $1.6bn valuationIBS Intelligence (blog) (subscription)
- Coinbase raises $100M at a $1.6B valuation amid explosive growthTechCrunch