KANSAS CITY – Kyle Shanahan’s Debut Friday night as the 49ers coach, albeit an exhibition opener, didn’t start off much differently than his recent predecessors’ struggles.
Foster broke up a pass in the end zone as he started alongside NaVorro Bowman, and Thomas applied pressure that led to an interception.
Beside Foster and Thomas, other rookies had their moments, including running backs Joe Williams and Matt Breida, wide receivers Kendrick Bourne and Trent Taylor, starting free safety Lorenzo Jerome and quarterback C.J.
An astounding 17 penalties is troubling, as was the variety of infractions: illegal formation, unnecessary roughness, facemask, holding, false start, pass interference, etc.
The 49ers and Chiefs each got penalized eight times in a sloppy first half, including a holding call on Aaron Burbridge that nullified a touchdown catch by Aldrick Robinson.
- 49ers start poorly in sloppy preseason win over ChiefsSFGate
- Patrick Mahomes gave the people what they wanted in Chiefs debutKansas City Star
- 49ers notes: Reuben Foster starts in NFL debut, quickly makes presence feltSacramento Bee
- NFL preseason scores, schedule, updates, news: Mahomes throws TD in Chiefs debutCBSSports.com
- Patrick Mahomes impresses in NFL debut, throws first NFL touchdownYahoo Sports
- FOURTH QUARTER: 49ers 24, Chiefs 17KCTV Kansas City
- Preseason opener highlights 49ers' vulnerabilities, including at cornerbackSacramento Bee
- What did Kyle Shanahan wear on the sideline in…The Mercury News
- Smith, Mahomes solid before 49ers rally past Chiefs, 27-17WTOP