GLENDALE, Calif. – The parent company of Applebee’s and Ihop could close as many as 135 Applebee’s restaurants, and 25 IHOP restaurants this year due to poor sales , according to a statement released Thursday.
DineEquity’s interim CEO Richard J. Dahl said in the release that 2017 will be a “transitional year” for Applebee’s, adding, “we are making the necessary investments for overall long-term brand health and expect to see improvement over the next year.”
“IHOP remains on solid ground, despite soft sales this quarter,” Dahl said.
Company officials said in the release that “the expected closures will be based on several criteria, including franchisee profitability, operational results and meeting our brand quality standards.”
The press release notes a 7 percent decline in sales for Applebee’s during the first six months of 2017.
- More than 100 Applebee's restaurants to close, parent company saysABC2 News
- Over 100 Applebee's And IHOP Locations To CloseLEX18 Lexington KY News
- Up to 160 Applebee's and IHOP locations may closeWTVD-TV
- Applebee's and IHOP closing over 100 restaurantsWSMV Nashville
- Applebee's, IHOP to close 160 restaurantsMLive.com
- Applebee's to close more than 100 locationsNewburgh Gazette
- IHOP and Applebee's closing over 100 restaurantsCBS News
- More than 120 Applebee's and IHOP restaurants to closeMerced Sun-Star
- Parent of Applebee's, IHOP to close up to 160 restaurantsIndianapolis Business Journal