The talk of Silicon Valley just now is a document critical of Google’s workplace diversity programs, written by a now-fired software engineer named James Damore and virally circulated online.
I don’t see a lot of white male privilege rising up around him like these magical shields to protect him.— Men's rights advocate Stefan Molyneux defends Google's diversity critic James DamoreThere are no indications that Damore is an outlier in his viewpoint.
None of these arguments bears close scrutiny, in part because the claims are ephemeral and political; biological determinism often experiences a resurgence, Gould explained, when a dominant culture fears it’s about to be thrown off its self-constructed pedestal.
The sequence started in February with engineer Susan Fowler’s shocking memoir of sexual harassment at Uber, continued with a number of complaints by female entrepreneurs of being propositioned by venture capital investors on pain of being denied funding, and now comes Damore’s attempted rationalization of a manifestly discriminatory hiring environment.
Under Travis Kalanick, Uber reveled in upending the transportation industry, but the beneficiaries thus far have been the company’s insiders and passengers whose rides are being heavily subsidized with venture money -- and at the expense of taxi drivers; they’re just collateral damage in the quest for disruption.
- Silicon Valley under attack both from within and withoutCNBC
- Google's Diversity Controversy Mocked In Street Art Near OfficeHollywood Reporter
- Google CEO Defends Diversity EffortsVoice of America
- James Damore has an 'above decent' chance of winning his legal case against GoogleBusiness Insider
- Google canceled all-hands meeting after employees were harassed onlineWashington Post
- Google CEO Pichai cancels 'town hall' on gender disputeYahoo Finance
- Google wrestles with aftermath from controversial memoWKMG Orlando
- Google CEO to girls: You belong in this industry and we need youPhys.Org
- Watch Out, Google, The Alt-Right Is Coming to Get YouPapermag