Not much writing or arting goes on here, but it is clear that these are creative types because they are extremely attractive and throw dinner parties where they gesture prettily with slender-stemmed wine glasses while drily quipping.
At one such soiree fronted by happening couple Ethan and Judith (Pierce Brosnan and Cynthia Nixon, silver and bronze), clever banter sails around the table like flying saucers.
Tom, the only Living Boy, etc., is having issues even though he is played by Callum Turner, who resembles Eddie Redmayne cross-bred with a young Richard Gere wearing the serious-minded spectacles that people of intellect are known to do, whether writers or not.
The Only Living Boy in New York began life years ago as the breakthrough first screenplay of Loeb, whose credits include a sequel to Oliver Stone's Wall Street and the critically trounced Will Smith movie, Collateral Beauty , about which the best that was said was that it meant well.
As a coming-of-age parable, though, Tom's rite of passage indulges to the full the adolescent fantasy that just about all the people in his young life have put their lives and longings on hold — for decades!
- Review: 'The Only Living Boy in New York' Rejects Dad's Money but Not His MistressNew York Times
- Hollywood's Next Big Thing: Callum Turner Trades Soccer Dreams for Leading-Man ...Hollywood Reporter
- 'The Only Living Boy in New York' Review: Weak Riff on 'The Graduate' Is a WasteRollingStone.com
- The Dude Saves Another MovieAmerican Spectator
- The Eye-Rolling Only Living Boy in New York Needs to Hit the BooksD Magazine
- The Only Living Boy In New York is a Simon & Garfunkel song brought to life ...A.V. Club (blog)
- 'The Only Living Boy in New York' leaves audience members dead in their seatsDaily Californian
- The Only Living Boy In New York ReviewCinema Blend
- Kate Beckinsale Has a Pretty Good Idea for Fixing MarriageELLE.com