Damien Williams took the handoff, cut to the right and burst through two Atlanta Falcons defenders for a 10-yard gain in the first quarter.
If there was one thing Miami’s offense wanted to establish in its victory during its Preseason opener, playing without two of the five quarterbacks on its roster, it was its depth at running back.
On the game’s second kickoff, Johnson caught the ball in the end zone, cut to the right and returned the kick 44-yards to Miami’s 40-yard line.
And on the tackling unit during a kickoff in the fourth quarter, Johnson recovered a fumble caused by defensive back Torry McTyer.
But Miami knows it needs Ajayi back healthy if it wants to be able to consistently rely on its rushing attack.
- Freeman Scores But Falcons Blew Lead In MiamiCBS Atlanta
- No Cutler, but plenty to like from young Dolphins in preseason openerMiami Herald
- Freeman scores but Falcons blow lead at Miami, 23-20. (Aug 10, 2017)FOXSports.com
- Rookie McMillan Injured As Dolphins Defeat Falcons 23-20 In Preseason OpenerCBS Miami
- Miami Dolphins ride David Fales to rally past Atlanta FalconsUPI.com
- Winners and losers from Dolphins-Falcons preseason openerMiami Herald
- Report card: Dolphins 23, Falcons 20Atlanta Journal Constitution
- Falcons opening drive shows they're picking up right where they left offWXIA-TV
- Falcons 20, Dolphins 23: Starters thrive, Jalen Collins was roasted aliveThe Falcoholic