Denis Shapovalov of Canada celebrates a point over Rogerio Dutra Silva of Brazil during the first round of the Rogers Cup tennis tournament, on Aug. 8, 2017 in Montreal.
MONTREAL (AP) -- Canadian Denis Shapovalov advanced to the second round of the Rogers Cup on Tuesday, rallying for a 4-6, 7-6 (8), 6-4 victory against Rogerio Dutra Silva of Brazil.
The 18-year-old dropped his racket and threw his arms in the air as the center court crowd at Uniprix Stadium erupted in cheers.
The opening match on center court at Uniprix Stadium was supposed to feature 10th-ranked Tomas Berdych, but he pulled out with a rib injury.
Canadian Milos Raonic was initially scheduled to play his opening match on Tuesday but a minor injury forced him to postpone it to Wednesday.
- Chung, #NextGenATP Reach Montreal Third RoundATP World Tour
- Canadian Shapovalov advances to 2nd round of Rogers CupWashington Times
- Tennis: Chung advances as young stars shine in MontrealDunyaNews Pakistan
- LIVE David Goffin - Chung Hyeon Montreal Masters - 10 August 2017Eurosport.com
- Hyeon Chung downs Lopez at Rogers CupFox Sports Asia