The Cleveland Browns take on the New Orleans Saints on Thursday for their first game of the preseason; at this time last year, we were getting ready to evaluate QB Robert Griffin III .
On defense, the following players are not expected to play:DT Caleb Brantley (finger)CB Marcus Burley (face laceration)S Ed Reynolds (knee)
At this point, the way things have gone for QB Cody Kessler — being demoted, still not having the necessary arm strength, and two pick sixes in recent practices — indicate that the starting quarterback job comes down to Brock Osweiler and DeShone Kizer .
I’m referring to the likes of Jamie Meder , Trevon Coley , Xavier Cooper , Larry Ogunjobi , Carl Nassib , Cam Johnson , Tyrone Holmes , and Nate Orchard .
It’s all fun-and-good to think, “Oh, Derrick Kindred and Ibraheim Campbell will be fine at the starting safety spots.” But I can’t forget how awful that tandem was during the first half of last season, and it was largely because of their pass coverage.
- Saints-Browns Preview: Brock Osweiler Has Chance To Solidify QB Job Thursday NightCBS Cleveland
- Cleveland Browns: Starting Brock Osweiler clouds quarterback competitionDawg Pound Daily
- Daily Dawg Tags: Kizer progressing as the backup, for nowDawg Pound Daily
- Cleveland Browns' Brock Osweiler: No gratification after initial QB decisionWKYC-TV
- Cleveland Browns QB Brock Osweiler named starter for preseason opener vs. SaintsNewsline
- Report: Browns' starting QB job is Brock Osweiler's to loseSportsnaut
- Where others have failed, Brock Osweiler looks to succeedMassillon Independent
- 9 burning questions for Browns QB Brock OsweilerClevelandBrowns.com
- Browns breakout star: Myles Garrett will quickly show why he was drafted No. 1CBSSports.com