Watson shined in his NFL preseason debut, completing 15 of 25 passes for 179 yards and running for a score in the Houston Texans’ 27-17 loss to the Carolina Panthers on Wednesday night.
The 6-foot-5 Benjamin, who reported to training camp in good shape after being overweight in the spring, made a leaping grab in the corner of the end zone to give Carolina the early 7-0 lead.
SITTING OUT: Along with Newton, veteran defensive ends Julius Peppers and Charles Johnson, center Ryan Kalil and rookie wide receiver Curtis Samuel did not suit up for Carolina.
Texans: Rookie linebacker Dylan Cole appeared to return a fumble for a touchdown to tie the game in the fourth quarter, but the play was overturned.
Panthers: Wide receiver Damiere Byrd, considered a fringe roster player, did nothing to hurt his chances by hauling touchdown passes of 50 and 8 yards from Joe Webb.
- Texans rookie Deshaun Watson has impressive moments in NFL preseason debutChron.com
- QB competition between Tom Savage, Deshaun Watson on display in Texans ...Chron.com
- Texans vs. Panthers 2017 live updates: Scores, highlights, and moreSB Nation
- NFL preseason scores, schedule, updates, news: Watson strikes first in QB battleCBSSports.com
- Texans' JJ Watt makes quick, uneventful, healthy returnChron.com
- Panthers WR Damiere Byrd, a former Gamecock, not impressed by all that Clemson ...Durham Herald Sun
- Heralded rookies Christian McCaffrey, Deshaun Watson prove they belongSporting News
- Recap: Panthers 27, Texans 17Panthers.com
- Deshaun Watson solid in Texans debutThe State