NEW YORK (AP) — Joe West, the major leagues’ senior umpire, has been suspended for three days without pay for comments he made about Texas third baseman Adrian Beltre.
In a USA Today report published June 20 timed to coincide with the umpire’s 5,000th regular-season game, West said “it’s got to be Adrian Beltre” when asked who was the biggest complainer in the major leagues.
It said Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred told the union in an Aug. 3 letter the discipline created an “appearance of lack of impartiality.”
“We disagree strongly with the decision to punish Joe West simply for sharing a humorous exchange with a player.”
The 64-year-old West made his big league debut in September 1976 and trails only Bill Klemm (5,375) and Bruce Froemming (5,163) among regular-season games worked.
- Umpire Joe West Suspended Three Games for Calling Adrian Beltre Biggest ComplainerSports Illustrated
- MLB suspends umpire for comments on Rangers' BeltreReuters
- Joe West suspended three games for calling Adrian Beltre MLB's 'biggest ...Yahoo Sports
- MLB Suspends Ump Joe West Three Games For Making Fun Of Adrian BeltreNESN.com
- MLB notes: Umpire West suspended three gamesSTLtoday.com
- Joe West suspended for calling Adrian Beltre a complainerLone Star Ball
- Umpire Joe West suspended three games for calling Adrian Beltre MLB's biggest ...Washington Post
- Rangers games may have become less interesting, but these Adrian Beltre ...Dallas News (blog)
- Joe West Suspended for 3 Games for Comments About BeltreU.S. News & World Report