Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale faces a make-or-break season at the Santiago Bernabeu, according to Sky Sports' Spanish football expert Terry Gibson.
Bale endured an injury-interrupted campaign in the Spanish capital last time around, featuring in only 27 matches in all competitions as Real won La Liga and retained the Champions League.
However, with youngsters such as Marco Asensio having broken into the Madrid first team last season and reports also linking the club with a move for Monaco striker Kylian Mbappe, Bale may no longer be guaranteed a first-team place in Zinedine Zidane's starting XI.
Los Blancos face Manchester United in the UEFA Super Cup on Tuesday night and Jose Mourinho is ready to "fight" for Bale's signature if Zidane leaves the 28-year-old out of his squad in Macedona.
"For them to allow a 24, 25-year-old to leave the club and join Chelsea, who would hope to be rivals with Real Madrid for the Champions League in the future, was rather a kind gesture by Zidane not to hold a player against his will.
- Real Madrid's Sergio Ramos Takes Sly Dig at Jose Mourinho Before Super CupSports Illustrated
- Manchester United vs Real Madrid: Can Juan Mata end his Super Cup curse?The Indian Express
- Why will Manchester United vs Real Madrid UEFA Super Cup feature a drinks break?Evening Standard
- José Mourinho plays the humble one before Real Madrid v Manchester UnitedThe Guardian
- Super Cup Q&A: Manchester United face Real Madrid in Skopje... but why was it ...Daily Mail
- Man Utd legend Ryan Giggs weighs in on Gareth Bale transfer talkGoal.com
- Gareth Bale could form great partnership with Romelu Lukaku at Manchester ...Metro
- Mourinho: If Bale becomes available, I'll race to the airport to get himYahoo Sports
- Jones misses Super Cup clash after Manchester United fail with bid to delay banStourbridge News