BEREA, Ohio -- Browns coach Hue Jackson made it clear Monday that naming Brock Osweiler the starter for Sunday's preseason opener against the Saints does not necessarily mean he'll be the man Sept. 10 against the Steelers.
Jackson noted that part of the reason he gave Osweiler the nod is because he wants to see more of Cody Kessler and DeShone Kizer in a live game situation.
"You're talking about a player that's played and won games in the National Football League, so there's talent there, there's no question about that, and that's why we're stepping him out there,'' said Jackson.
ESPN's Adam Schefter said on The Dan Patrick Show today that Osweiler's name came up in Miami, but ''Cleveland wasn't really interested in parting ways with him.''
He's gained a lot of respect in the locker room because of the way he prepares, so he did a good job today and obviously it's his first opportunity with those guys, so we just need to keep fine-tuning some things."
- The offense had a strong day and everything else we learned at Browns training ...cleveland.com
- Decision to start Osweiler for preseason opener hardly means he'll be Week One ...NBCSports.com
- Cleveland Browns QB Brock Osweiler named starter for preseason opener vs. SaintsUPI.com
- What are the chances Brock Osweiler plays well enough to end the QB debate ...cleveland.com
- Cleveland Browns: Brock Osweiler feels 'no gratification' after being dumped ...News-Herald.com
- Cleveland Browns playing Brock Osweiler just makes sense -- Terry Pluto (photos)cleveland.com
- Brock Osweiler named starter for Cleveland Browns' exhibition opener against ...NBC4i.com
- Brock On: Osweiler picked to start Browns exhibition openerMinneapolis Star Tribune
- Brock Osweiler, Browns are falling for each otherNFL.com