Yet when Goydos caught a 4-iron thin out of the fairway on the first hole of a sudden-death Playoff Sunday evening during the 3M Championship, his heart didn’t sink to his ankles.
Both players finished with a 6-under-par 66 in the final round to head to the playoff at 20 under for the championship, two ahead of Steve Stricker, Kevin Sutherland and Brandt Jobe.
Sunday’s finale — the second year in a row extra holes were needed — came only after players and fans were ushered off the course earlier in the day for 62 minutes with lightning in the area.
After leaving several makable putts short or burning the edges of the cup, Perry made another bogey at the par-3 13th before the weather horn sounded.
Needing an eagle on 18 to tie the leaders, Stricker took one club too many on approach and rocketed a shot well over the green, all but ending his chances at joining the playoff party.
- Paul Goydos defeats Gene Sauers in playoff to win 3M ChampionshipGolfDigest.com
- PGA Champions Tour 2017: Live leaderboard for 3M Championship final round ...cleveland.com
- Scoggins: Birdies, fun were aplenty Saturday at 3MChampionshipMinneapolis Star Tribune
- 3 Golfers Tie For 1st At 3M ChampionshipCBS Minnesota / WCCO
- Paul Goydos sets 3M record with 12-under 60 to take the leadMinneapolis Star Tribune
- Goydos wins 3M Championship on first playoff holeSan Francisco Chronicle
- 3M Championship: Paul Goydos wins with birdie on playoff holeWDAY
- Playoff mistake costs Sauers at 3M ChampionshipWTOC
- Paul Goydos shoots record-setting 60; shares lead with two othersDuluth News Tribune
This post first appeared on The 5th News, please read the originial post: here