Whit Merrifield hit a two-run, two-out double that capped a four-run rally in the ninth inning, and the Royals beat the Toronto Blue Jays 5-4 on Friday night to reach .500 for the first time since April.
Ahead 3-1 in the count, Merrifield doubled on a hop to the left-field wall, and Gordon scored easily from first, crossing the plate with a headfirst slide.
RHP Chris Young, an integral part of the Royals ‘ 2015 World Series championship team, was designated for assignment with a 7.50 ERA in 14 appearances.
Royals : LHP Danny Duffy (right oblique strain) is to begin a minor league rehab assignment Saturday with Triple-A Omaha.
Blue Jays RHP Marco Estrada and Royals LHP Jason Vargas, both Long Beach State alums, are scheduled to start Saturday.
- Blue Jays' bullpen plays giveaway in 5-4 loss to RoyalsNational Post
- Blue Jays' bullpen implodes in 9th-inning, 2-out collapse to RoyalsCBC.ca
- Whit Merrifield was knocked onto the ground in celebration after his walk-off hitMLB.com
- Jakob Junis makes case for continued Royals rotation considerationKansas City Star
- Royals rally in 9th to beat JaysAlbany Times Union
- Royals win it for Paul Rudd with an amazing ninth inning comebackRoyals Review
- Royals score four runs in ninth to stun Blue Jays, get record back to .500Kansas City Star
- Jays bullpen implodes in ninth-inning loss: DiMannoToronto Star
- Royals wipe out four-run deficit in ninth to top Blue JaysReuters