After the Rangers could not capitalize with the bases loaded in the top of the 10th, Ronald Torreyes hit a two-out single to score Gary Sanchez in the bottom of the inning and leave everyone in pinstripes pretty happy.
His strikeout total on Friday night was particularly encouraging, as was the diversity in Tanaka’s third-strike pitches — twirling sliders, mid-90s fastballs, curves and sinkers that muted the Rangers’ strong lineup.
He took the field 40 minutes before the first pitch, running around the tarp still on the infield to begin his outfield stretching routine while a drizzling rain fell.
Tanaka rebounded to strike out Joey Gallo, and then Choo grounded into a double play, ignited by a diving catch by Torreyes at third base.
Headley received an epidural injection after Thursday’s game and said he was doing better Friday afternoon, but Girardi thought he’d be back in the lineup no sooner than Sunday.
- Torreyes' Single Leads Yankees Over Texas Rangers In 10thCBS New York
- Friday MLB scores, highlights, updates, news: The first Darvish-Tanaka matchup ...CBSSports.com
- Torreyes' single in 10th lifts Yankees over Rangers 2-1Washington Times
- Japan's Tanaka gets better of Darvish in MLB clashYahoo News
- Gomez feeling free with Rangers, and it showsFort Worth Star Telegram
- Ronald Torreyes' single in 10th gives Yankees walk-off win over RangersNewsday
- Torreyes' walk-off single lifts Yankees to 2-1, 10-inning win over RangersNorthJersey.com
- Ronald Torreyes walks off Yankees in 10 innings | Rapid reaction (VIDEO)NJ.com
- Tanaka, Darvish deliver dramaThe Japan Times