And after midnight, Ronald Torreyes lined an RBI single with two outs in the 10th inning that sent the New York Yankees over the Texas Rangers 2-1 on Friday night for just their second win in 10 games.
Brett Gardner also played a big part for the Yankees, hitting a tying home run with one out in the ninth off closer Matt Bush (2-3).
Often playfully hoisted by Gregorius in the dugout to high-five Aaron Judge after the tall slugger's home runs, the diminutive Torreyes wound up on the shoulders of his teammates.
He dived to his left to snag Shin-Soo Choo's grounder and threw from his knees to start an inning-ending double play in the third, then made a backhand stab, spun and beat Elvis Andrus with a two-hop throw to first leading off the seventh.
Rangers: LHP Martin Perez ripped a finger nail off his left thumb and broke the tip of the bone in an accident at his New York hotel Thursday night.
- Yankees' Masahiro Tanaka Prevails in a Duel With a Japanese FlavorNew York Times
- Friday MLB scores, highlights, updates, news: First Darvish-Tanaka matchup was ...CBSSports.com
- Japan's Tanaka gets better of Darvish in MLB clashYahoo News
- Gomez feeling free with Rangers, and it showsFort Worth Star Telegram
- Ronald Torreyes' single in 10th gives Yankees walk-off win over RangersNewsday
- Torreyes' walk-off single lifts Yankees to 2-1, 10-inning win over RangersNorthJersey.com
- Ronald Torreyes walks off Yankees in 10 innings | Rapid reaction (VIDEO)NJ.com
- Yankees edge Rangers after thrilling Darvish-Tanaka duelDaily Mail
- Tanaka, Darvish deliver dramaThe Japan Times