On Thursday, a commercial fisherman caught the fish below a lock in the Calumet River on Chicago's south side.
Threat: Open pit sulfide mining Source: American Rivers
(Photo by Brian van der Brug/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)
Scientists say they can interfere and compete with native species, disturb certain food chains and devastate the $7 billion fishing industry.
Officials told the Chicago Tribune it's likely the Carp was a loner that made its way to the unusual area.
- Invasive Asian carp near Lake Michigan must be a 'wake-up call,' lawmakers sayUSA TODAY
- Asian carp found near Lake MichiganHerald Palladium
- Asian carp discovered close to Lake Michigan as Trump pushes budget cutsChicago Tribune
- Invasive carp found 9 miles from Lake MichiganDuluth News Tribune
- 'Cause For Serious Concern': Invasive Carp Caught 9 Miles From Great LakesWRVO Public Media
- Invasive Asian carp found in waterway beyond Great Lakes barriersReuters
- Asian carp found in Chicago canal, just 9 miles from Lake Michigan shoresMilwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Officials: Live Asian carp discovered near Lake MichiganABC News
- Senator Sounds The Alarm After Single Asian Carp Is Found Near Lake MichiganThe Daily Caller