Twenty two-year-old Jarrett Ellis will make his big screen debut this week in All Eyez on Me , a biopic of iconic rapper Tupac Shakur's "untold story" that premieres nationwide on June 16.
When I asked Ellis about his previous acting experience, he listed an elementary school production of The Three Little Pigs , plus a few "arty" student films he appeared in as favors to his classmates at Loyola Marymount University—from which he graduated less than a month ago.
In high school, inspired by his love of the "Jesus is My Homeboy" T-shirts, he worked on his own designs and brought them to local screen printers, launching a clothing line called Xtra Credit .
He especially treasured the time he spent with Daz Dillinger, Snoop's cousin, producer, and frequent collaborator, who also worked closely with Tupac on some of his biggest hits.
Was his music and legacy a part of your life before landing this role?Jarrett Ellis: My dad's from Los Angeles, so he's a big Snoop Dog, Tupac, West Coast rap guy.
- 'All Eyez on Me' Review: Tupac Biopic Is Flawed but FascinatingYahoo Movies
- All Eyez on MePaste Magazine
- 'All Eyez on Me': Film ReviewHollywood Reporter
- Review: 'All Eyez on Me' isn't worthy of TupacDetroit Free Press
- Demetrius Shipp on his role as Tupac Shakur in a biopicHonolulu Star-Advertiser
- 'All Eyez on Me' Review: Tupac Shakur's Complicated Life Deserves More Than ...IndieWire
- All Eyez On Me movie review: Legendary Tupac Shakur was much more flawed than thisHindustan Times
- All Eyez On Me review: Poor dummy guide that wouldn't even impress a newbie ...Deccan Chronicle
- Review: All Eyez on Me does a lazy disservice to Tupac ShakurThe Globe and Mail