Casey was always a ham. Per the UPI Telephoto descriptor (eBay auction link):
7/24/65 - New York: Casey Stengel, whose third love (behind wife, Edna, and Baseball) must be posing for photographers, gets off wink number umpteen during Old Timers Day festivities at Shea Stadium 7/24. He's wearing an old Brooklyn Dodgers cap for the occasion. Casey celebrates his 75th birthday 7/30.Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1962 Sandy Koufax had one of the best days of his career. He started off that evenings game at Dodger Stadium by throwing an Immaculate Inning during the first inning - striking out three batters on nine pitches. Then finished his day by completing his first career no-hitter against the hapless Mets, 5-0. In 1985 Pedro Guerrero slammed his 15th home run during the month of June - setting a major League record.
- Happy Birthday, Blake Treinen, Pat Venditte, Johnny Miljus, Johnny Hudson, Mark Grudzielanek, Garret Anderson, Chan Ho Park, Mike Judd & Delwyn Young!
- Per Henry Schulman at San Francisco Chronicle -- "Giants tentatively scheduled to open shortened 2020 season at Dodgers."
The Giants will open the 60-game regular season at Dodger Stadium on July 23 if the tentative schedule is not changed, several sources have told The Chronicle.
- YouTube Video: Here's an interesting interview with former ballplayer (originally drafted by the Dodgers in 1969) Royle Stillman with Brian Cataquet from KMET 1490AM (Link Here).
- 2demeter2 at LA Dodger Talk writes an impassioned plea for Gil Hodges induction into the HOF -- "Gil Hodges a Hall of Fame Player and Hall of Fame Man."
When I think of all of the statements made about Hodges, one shared by his son while at the his father’s funeral, Jackie Robinson then held Hodges Jr. and said, “Next to my son’s death, this is the worst day of my life.” Robinson himself would die of a heart attack six months later. Hodges was a very good player and a very good man!
- WooHoo! I'm glad to see he'll still be around. Per a tweet from Bob Nightengale:
The Colorado #Rockies have signed slugger Matt Kemp to a minor-league contract to replace Ian Desmond on the roster.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) June 30, 2020
Per Jeff Todd at MLB Trade Rumors -- "Rockies To Sign Matt Kemp"
This move simply wouldn’t have happened in late March, but intervening developments made it possible. We learned last night that right-handed-hitting Rockies veteran Ian Desmond would opt out of the 2020 season, leaving a potential roster spot. And the Rockies are newly in need of designated hitter options, given the expansion of the hitter-only spot to the National League for 2020.
- Listen to Mark McGwire chat with David Vassegh, via a tweet from AM570:
#MarkMcGwire says on #DodgerTalk that he believes players should play with masks on this upcoming 2020 season. (@THEREAL_DV) https://t.co/kUeUiren2v— AM 570 LA Sports (@AM570LASports) June 30, 2020
- Welcome to the Dodgers, Landon Knack. Our second round pick has officially signed, via a tweet from Jim Callis:
— Jim Callis (@jimcallisMLB) June 30, 2020
- Per J.J. Cooper and Josh Norris at Baseball America -- "The 2020 Minor League Season Is Canceled. So What Happens Next?"
What was long expected will be made official today: There will be no Minor League Baseball in 2020.According to multiple sources, Minor League Baseball is expected to officially announce this afternoon that the season has been shelved because Major League Baseball has failed to provide players. Teams have been informed that they can make their own announcements later this afternoon after MiLB’s announcement.
The volatility of the coronavirus and a spike of cases in both big league training states of Florida and Arizona have thrown the possibility of the instructional league and the Arizona Fall League (as well as a potential companion league in Florida) into serious jeopardy.
- Good for the Dodgers, via a tweet from Jorge Castillo:
The Dodgers have committed to continue paying their minor leaguers a $400 weekly stipend through August.— Jorge Castillo (@jorgecastillo) June 30, 2020
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *