Check out this fantastic press photo of a young Carl Erskine from the Houston Post. The clarity and contrast between dark and light, along with what I believe is the grandstands from Ebbets Field is phenomenal. It is dated April 29, 1959, so it's clearly not a period photograph. Erskine is wearing a Brooklyn Dodgers cap and by 1959 the Dodgers had already moved to Los Angeles. I suspect this is a photograph that the Houston Post kept in their library for future use. To collectors, this photograph would be described as a Type II photo -- a picture printed from the original negative more than 2 years of the photo being shot. (eBay auction link).
Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1949 Don Newcombe made his first major league start, firing a five-hit shutout in a 3-0 victory over the Cincinnati Reds. He would go on to have a 17-8 record with 19 complete games, five shut outs and an 3.17 ERA -- winning both the Rookie of the Year and the Cy Young awards. In 1987 the Dodgers traded reliever Tom Niedenfuer to the Orioles for John Shelby and Brad Havens. Shelby would go on to have a very impactful season for the World Series Champion Dodgers the next year.
- Happy Birthday, Bill Lohrman & Tommy John!
- Via Brodie Brazil at Yahoo/NBC Sports -- "Barry Zito has good reason for wearing Dodgers hat on 'Masked Singer'"
"When I went to buy a hat, an 'SF' hat in all black, and they didn't have it," Zito said. "So my second favorite city is LA, I'll do that."
- Via Nathalie Alonso at MLB.com -- "Dodgers host Zoom party entirely in Spanish."
The event kicked off with participants reminiscing about the experiences and the figures that sparked their interest in baseball. Valenzuela and Graterol pointed out that they come from baseball-loving families and learned the game from parents and siblings. González, who spent much of his childhood in San Diego, said his dad took to him to watch Valenzuela pitch and that he grew up admiring the hitting prowess of late Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn.
- For the second season is a row Topps is releasing Kenny Mayne's 52-Card Baseball Game (Series 2) and it includes a new checklist of players. Below is a look at the Gavin Lux (left) card. Go here to check out the set and order. BTW, you can still purchase the Series 1 version from 2019 here.
- This weeks 2020 Topps Throwback Thursday online exclusive set features a 1977 Topps Baseball design and includes ballplayers that have family also in "The Show." Below is a look at the Corey Seager/Kyle Seager card (right). Go here to check out the set and order.
- Another Zoom party is coming on Tuesday, via a tweet from the Dodgers:
RSVP now! Our next #DodgersZoomParty presented by @BlueShieldCA and @GetSpectrum is on 5/26 at 6 p.m. PT.— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) May 22, 2020
Guests include @buehlersdayoff, @yungjoc650, @RossStripling, A.J. Pollock, Steve Sax and more. Secure your spot: https://t.co/jDchMMQdD9 pic.twitter.com/ohJnpe01D0
- Good Guy, Yasiel Puig! Via his twitter:
I would like to thank @ElNidoFamily for partnering with my @wildhorsefdn on Monday’s event to bless over 100 families who are a part the #GRYD program. Thank you to Mayor Eric Garcetti and the office of Gang Reduction Youth Development! pic.twitter.com/771YgAnCLK— Yasiel Puig (@YasielPuig) May 20, 2020
- Guess who'll be in an episode of the Bold & the Beautiful next week? Via a tweet from the Bold & the Beautiful:
On Monday, Rick rallies an influential friend, @kikehndez of the LA @Dodgers, to assist him in making one of his wife Maya’s life-long dreams come true. #BoldandBeautiful pic.twitter.com/1swOq4eQCk— Bold & The Beautiful (@BandB_CBS) May 21, 2020
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *